MM2C Podcast by Ben Alagnam

SEARCH the Related FSW Canada Topics HERE!

26 December 2014

Going to Work During Winter in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada

Finding a job in Canada is not a problem for me as I got a job 5 days after landing.  New immigrants like me usually don't have cars to use for the first few months and maybe years.  It's because we have other priorities for our money like renting or buying a house, food, having a contact number, etc...

For me, car is the least priority as of the moment. Bus and subway transportation system in Toronto is efficient as in Singapore.  There are few unfavorable moments but it's because of the nasty weather.

Everyday, I had to take two buses and walk 500 meters to work.  This is not a problem if the weather is fine because I also love walking as part of my daily exercise.  The problem is when the weather is bad, like winter time.

Walking at the Snowy Walkway
It wastes 10 minutes, for me, just to prepare my clothes and wearing it in layers, including the shoes.  Time consumed for this process should be considered during this type of weather condition.

I have to make sure that I'll be just in time at the bus stop so I won't wait too long  and end up chilling my nose. There is an app for mobile phones that I can recommend to avoid this dilemma, but I'll make another post for that later on.

Once I'm inside the bus, I still feel cold even the bus heating system is working as it takes time for my body to adjust.  So, I don't remove my jackets, gloves and head covers inside the vehicle.

My work site is 500 meters away from the bus stop so I have to walk through the snowy walkway. It's a good sight to see if you feel warm inside your jacket.  The white snow looks great and the grainy snow is fun to touch.

This is how it looks when I reported for work few days ago.




At a normal non-snowy day, you can see the pathway, but this time it's all under the snow. The air temperature is at -4degC during this time but the windchill is around -10degC.

This is really cold, freezing the tip of my nose and fingers and you can feel the numbness specially at your fingertips.  I'll share you my winter gear at my next post so you can have a better view of what to wear during this nasty weather.

They said that -10degC is still not harsh in Toronto.  Wait until I experience the -20 degC....

Is this a useful information? Please tick the Like button below.
__________________________________
If you have any questions regarding this post or requests, you can leave a comment below or email me at benalagnam@yahoo.com.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by BenAlagnam's FeedBurner

HAVE MORE ON THIS BLOG
 EMAIL    RESOURCES      ASK ME    ARCHIVE    SUGGEST

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ben, can you post about how you went about looking for work and landed on one just after 5 days? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thats truly chilling. Cant wait for your next post about what you wear, how you cope up with the weather.

Anonymous said...

Nice job ben.. got a job already after 5 days? youre in IT right? can you share your skill set and how did you start your application.. thanks always for sharing! keep it up..

Unknown said...

Hello Ben..
Nice to know you are doing fine in CA.
Last time, I asked about settlement funds.. That was when I'm still preparing my applications..
Thanks so much for your help.
Now, I am waiting for MR..
God bless you and your family..

Ben Alagnam said...

Hi Madel, that's a good news! Keep yourself healthy for your medical exam.

Unknown said...

hi ben, wow, a job in just 5 days? things looking good for you in canada. I am a follower of your blog and we have exchanged a few emails before as well. thanks for the tips you gave me btw. me, my wife and kid were not able to pass our application last dec2014 for FSW. We are going to try our luck now with the express entry that rolled out last month. we have just completed our online profile and all necessary docs in hand in case we get an invitation to apply for permanent residence. we are quite nervous about the new express entry as I see it a bit more difficult right now since they ranked all candidates that meets the minimum criteria and whoever ranked the highest have the the better chances. .. next draw for qualfied candidates should be last week of feb. Pls pray for us and wish us luck. =)

Ben Alagnam - MeMovingToCanada